Internal and external motivations
Internal and external motivations
Why do we need facilitation?
To approach this questions we spoke about two types of motivation to work with facilitation.
- We value a constant development
- Team work is important to us – We want to concentrate on cooperation
- We are looking for ways to empower ourselves
- Because we love to work with it
- We like to give value also to people not only to content
- We can be more effective in this way
- Because we want to get from “I know” to “I want” and "I do"
- Because we don’t want to teach but to create learning environment/ create learning
- We believe in a change as a step by step process and we believe that a dealing with change and finding your own way of adapting to life is important - facilitation can make you ready for it
- I prefer enhancing the cooperation between existing experts/ activists/ leaders over being an expert/ activist/ leader myself
- We are knowledge society
- There is constant competition in knowledge
- Social media changed the way of cooperation
- We are not observers or subordinates but we become participants in all life [art, entertainment, communities, education, politics etc.]
- We are parts of a system and we have to find a way to satisfy different parts of the system - facilitation can be a tool for enabling communication process between parts of the system (however we define it, on whatever level)
- In time of globalization there is a process of including stakeholders that haven’t been counting so far and facilitation is a way to implement this new tendency on the micro level
- Knowledge is most important resource so companies/ organization expect their members to develop it
- Organizations want to empower employees
- People are most important factors but employees and members of organizations are sometimes not ready to work in new paradygme so they need facilitation
- From hierarchical structure to project work
- Need in project management to manage the people process better (right now 90% of project fails because of problems with the people process)
- We are expected to bring people to their maximum capacity
- We can save time for organization by better using group dynamics
- To change from employees to entrepreneurs
- Organizational knowledge is getting more and more important
- Need to reduce the anxiety and fear of change - facilitation gives an indirect way to work with implementation
- Need to take people from information-communication further to participation, engagement and personal responsibility
- Because their is an increasing need for creative and innovative ideas/ solutions and facilitation provides a frame for these
- We have more and more distributed teams (working virtually) who are seeking for a way to cooperate and communicate.
- Increaslingly diverse work situations (with people from different countries, organization, age, culture, expectations etc.) ask for communication methods that foster integration of differences - and NICO_F proofed how facilitation can be a helpful way
Why do you think asks the given situation/ organization/ community for a facilitators support?
- Is it about acknowledgment? change? creativity? democracy? developpment? diversity management? empowerment? effectivity? efficiency? equality? learning?
- What is your personal motivation/ idea of man/ worldview/ philosophy/ ideology/ principle of operation behind your interest to use facilitation? Does it correspond with the customer's demand (e.g. efficiency vs. acknowledgment, efficiency and empowerment)?